A health official on Wednesday said around 20 people remain in a critical condition after Monday’s suicide bombing at a British pop concert, with those wounded battling “highly traumatic injuries” such as damage to major organs and limbs.
Twenty-two people were killed late on Monday when a suicide bomber detonated a device packed with metal nuts and bolts as thousands of people streamed out of a concert in Manchester, northern England, by US singer, Ariana Grande.
“We are now treating 64 individuals … of those approximately 20 are receiving critical care, that means very urgent care,” Jon Rouse, chief officer for health and social care services in the greater Manchester area, told Sky News.
“There is damage to major organs, major injuries in terms of limbs and some of these individuals are going to need very long term care and support.
“These are highly traumatic injuries.”
Soldiers have been deployed to key sites in Britain to prevent attacks after the terror threat level was raised to its highest level following the suicide bombing.
Prime Minister Theresa May announced late on Tuesday that the threat level was now considered “critical”, meaning an attack may be imminent.
Police had earlier named British-born Salman Abedi, 22, as the perpetrator of the bombing at the Manchester Arena indoor venue at the end of a concert by US pop singer Ariana Grande on Monday, attended by thousands of children and teenagers.
The identities of the victims were becoming known little by little.
They included an eight-year-old girl, two teenage girls and a 28-year-old man.
Poland’s foreign minister said that a Polish couple who had come to collect their daughters after the concert also died.
The daughters were safe.
The bombing also left 59 people wounded, some with life-threatening injuries.
“Whilst some of what we are doing will be obvious to the public there is a huge amount of work happening day and night that the public will never know about,” Commander Jane Connors, leading the London policing operation, said.
The Manchester attack was the deadliest in Britain since July 2005, when four British Muslim suicide bombers killed 52 people in coordinated attacks on London’s transport network.
US security sources, citing British intelligence officials, said Abedi was born in Manchester in 1994 to parents of Libyan origin.
British investigators were looking into whether Abedi had traveled to Libya and whether he had been in touch with Islamic State militants there or in Syria.
The Times newspaper said Abedi was believed to have returned to Britain from Libya recently.