Granit Xhaka signs for Arsenal in £35m deal as Arsene Wenger admits club have been tracking Swiss midfielder 'for a long time'
- Arsenal have confirmed the £35million signing of midfielder Granit Xhaka
- Xhaka arrives from Borussia Monchengladbach, signing five-year contract
- Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger reveals Swiss star was a long-term target
- Wenger hailed his new signing's experience in the Champions League
- Xhaka is Arsenal's first outfield summer signing since Danny Welbeck
Arsenal have confirmed the signing of Switzerland international Granit Xhaka after securing the final details of a £35million deal to bring in the midfielder from Borussia Monchengladbach.
Xhaka has put pen to paper on a five-year contract worth £110,000-per-week and has passed a medical ahead of his move going through when the transfer window opens next week.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger said: 'Granit Xhaka is an exciting young player, already with good Champions League and Bundesliga experience.
Xhaka, 23, touched down in London on Thursday and completed his medical examinations before posing for photographs in the Arsenal's new home kit at their London Colney base.
The Gunners have now confirmed the £35m deal after Sportsmail reported it was close to completion last week. Arsenal chiefs wanted to get the move over the line before this summer's European Championship.
Asked whether he felt Arsenal could compete for the Premier League title next season, Xhaka said: 'I hope so. I am very happy to be here. It’s a dream come true and I’m happy.
GRANIT XHAKA - CAREER STATS
Appearances: 67 Goals: 3
Borrusia Monchengladbach (2012-16)
Appearance: 134 Goals: 9
Appearances: 41 Goals: 6