The media has been awash with reports that legendary musician, Prince has died at the of aged 57 at his estate in Minnesota, just days after he was rushed to hospital from his private plane with severe flu.
According to The Huffington Post and The Associated Press, the singer’s publicist confirmed the tragic news. TMZ was the first to report the news of his death. The award-winning artist died on Thursday, April 21, at his Paisley Park compound in Minnesota.
The cause of death has yet to be released. According to Daily Mail, paramedics were called out to the music icon’s Paisley Park estate at 9.43am and Carver County Sheriff’s Department confirmed that there had been a fatality. A forensics team and a medical examiner are at the scene. While the world mourns the passing away of this great icon, Naij.com brings 12 things you need to know about the music legend.
1. He was named Prince Rogers Nelson, Prince’s dad, John Nelson, led the “Prince Rogers” jazz trio, which eventually became John’s nickname, and then Prince’s official name.
2. He was born on June 7, 1958, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
3. Prince developed an interest in music at an early age, writing his first song at age seven.
4. Price has changed his name four times.
5. Prince’s mom’s name is Mattie Shaw, and he says she’s responsible for his wild side.
6. Prince is the official pioneer of the Minneapolis sound heralded by music mags throughout the ’80s.
7. There were reports of bad blood between Micheal Jackson and Prince. There was a time on his 2004 album Musicology, Prince had a lyric that went, “My voice is getting higher/And Eye ain’t never had my nose done/That’s the other guy.” He also ducked out of the Jackson-helmed “We Are The World” sessions (though he did end up donating a song to the benefit album).
8. He later in became a Jehovah’s Witness, and because of this he refused to swear in his songs or regularly sing those that championed sexual freedom.
9. Prince was said to be a perfectionist who was highly protective of his music. He wrote, composed and produced the majority of his music, and played most of the instruments on his albums.
10. Prince released 39 albums and won seven Grammy Awards.
11. Prince sold over 100 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling artists of all time.
12. He died at his Paisley Park recording studio and home in Chanhassen, Minnesota, near Minneapolis, on April 21, 2016, after suffering flu-like symptoms for several weeks after suffering flu-like symptoms for several weeks.